Bocadental and Michael J. Gioia, Jr., DMD proudly serve the general and cosmetic dental needs in Boca Raton and the surrounding communities of West Palm Beach, Parkland, Pompano Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach Gardens, Deerfield Beach, Lake Worth, Margate, and Boynton Beach.
Inlays and Onlays
Inlays and Onlays in Boca Raton Florida
When more than half of the tooth’s biting surface is damaged a dentist will often use an inlay or onlay.
What Are They?
Inlays and onlays can be made of porcelain, gold, or composite resin. These pieces are bonded to the damaged area of the tooth. An inlay, which is similar to a filling, is used inside the cusp tips of the tooth. An onlay is a more substantial reconstruction, similar to the inlay but extending out over one or more of the cusps of the tooth.
Traditionally, gold has been the material of choice for inlays and onlays. In recent years, however, porcelain has become increasingly popular due to its strength and color, which can potentially match the natural color of your teeth.
How Are They applied?
Inlays and onlays require two appointments to complete the procedure. During the first visit, the filling being replaced or the damaged or decaying area of the tooth is removed, and the tooth is prepared for the inlay or onlay. To ensure proper fit and bite, an impression of the tooth is made by the dentist, and sent to a lab for fabrication. The dentist will then apply a temporary sealant on the tooth and schedule the next appointment.
At the second appointment, the temporary sealant is removed. Dr. Gioia will then make sure that the inlay or onlay fits correctly. If the fit is satisfactory, the inlay or onlay will be bonded to the tooth with a strong resin and polished to a smooth finish.
Traditional fillings can reduce the strength of a natural tooth by up to 50 percent. As an alternative, inlays and onlays, which are bonded directly onto the tooth using special high-strength resins, can actually increase the strength of a tooth by up to 75 percent. As a result, they can last from 10 to 30 years. In some cases, where the damage to the tooth is not extensive enough to merit an entire crown, onlays can provide a very good alternative.
Why Choose Dr. Michael Gioia?
- Dr. Gioia has earned the prestigious Diplomate status from the American Board of Oral Implantology. He is one of only two Diplomates in Oral Implantology in Boca Raton. He has been involved in implant dentistry for nearly 20 years and has placed and restored thousands of implants.
- Dr Gioia’s office is equipped with the latest technology: A 3D imaging cat scan unit (cone beam cat scan ), imaging software and guided surgical devices that are available to help make each visit more comfortable and predictable. The all- on- 4 concept is utilized for failed dentitions in order to avoid grafting , to avoid nerve impingement, and in order to complete teeth in a day, when appropriate.
- Dr. Gioia is devoted to patient safety and excellence in treatment. In addition to Dr Gioia, the office utilizes the skills of general dentist with emphasis in cosmetic dentistry, a periodontist highly skilled in complex dental implant care, and an MD anesthesiologist who are all devoted to completing your care in the most expert and comfortable manner.
- Dr. Gioia’s training includes postgraduate training in Prosthodontics at the University of Illinois, College of Dentistry with subspecialty training in maxillofacial Prosthodontics at the University of Pittsburgh Eye and Ear Hospital, College of Dentistry. His I.V. anesthesia training was completed at the University Of Alabama, Birmingham, College of Dentistry. Dr. Gioia is a Fellow of the American Academy of Implant Dentistry and is a Diplomate of the American Board of Implantology.
- Dr. Gioia is a member of numerous organizations including the ADSA, FDSA, ADA , ACP, AAID, AO, ICOI, FPA, AGD, and SPBCDA.
- Dr. Gioia has served as Sec/Treas., and President of the Florida Dental Society of Anesthesiology, ending three years of service in 2006. Dr. Gioia donates many hours of community service. He volunteers dental care services at Caridad Dental Center treating migrant workers in Boynton Beach for over 20 years.
REAL PATIENTS REAL REVIEWS
(use scroll bar to read more reviews)